Twelve months after the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, none of the 11 suspects was convicted and it is only known that the journalist was killed inside the building.
On October 2, 2018, Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who lived in the United States, entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to handle some documents required for marriage to a Turkish citizen.
The journalist did not leave the consulate again, where he was killed by Saudi agents, who left Turkey and returned to Saudi Arabia shortly after the murder.
His disappearance will be signaled on Wednesday in the face of this diplomatic representation convened by a group of friends and supporters at 13.14 local time (11.14 hours in mainland Portugal), the same time on the day Khashoggi entered the Saudi consulate.
In addition to Hatice Cengiz, Jamal Khashoggi's fiancée, the UN rapporteur on arbitrary executions, Agnes Callamard, exiled Egyptian politician Ayman Nour and Yemen's Nobel Prize winner Tawakkol Karman, among other activists, will also attend the event. non-governmental Reporters Without Borders, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International.
Salah Khashoggi, the journalist's son, said on Tuesday in a tweet that he has "full confidence" in the Saudi judiciary and has opposed those seeking to exploit this case.
"A year has passed since the death of my beloved father. During that time, opponents and enemies in the West and the East sought to exploit the case… To harm my country and its leaders," he wrote.
"I have full confidence in the kingdom's judicial system and its ability to do justice (and punish) those behind this heinous crime," added Salah Khashoggi.
On Monday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his country would continue efforts to clear up the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
In an article in the Washington Post, Erdogan described the murder of the journalist, killed by a group of Saudi agents, as "probably the most controversial and decisive incident of the 21st century."
Erdogan said Turkey would continue to question "where are the remains of Khashoggi, who signed the Saudi journalist's death sentence and who sent the 15 killers on two planes to Istanbul."
To try to clean up its image, heavily affected by the case, the Saudi kingdom accused 11 suspects, but Khashoggi's death involved 15 Saudi agents and the CIA and UN questioned the direct involvement of the kingdom's crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman.
In an interview with the 60-minute US program on Sunday, the prince said he assumed "full responsibility" for the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a critic of the regime, but denied ordering the murder.
"This was a heinous crime. But I take full responsibility as a leader in Saudi Arabia, especially because it was committed by individuals working for the Saudi government," Mohammed bin Salman said in an interview with the US 60-minute program on Sunday.
The crown prince answered with a categorical "no" to the question of whether he had ordered Khashoggi's murder, and pointed out that the murder of the influential journalist in exile had been "a mistake."
The trial of the 11 suspects began in early January in Saudi Arabia, and the attorney general requested the death penalty for five of them, but to date no one has been convicted.
In June, the UN published a report directly blaming Prince Bin Salman and called for more international sanctions against the Saudi monarchy and further investigations under the auspices of the international body.
"Some think I should know what three million people working for the Saudi government do daily," the Crown Prince said during the 60-minute interview.
. (tagsToTranslate) News Journal (t) JN (t) World (t) Saudi Arabia