Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said on Wednesday that "for now" he will remain in the Liberal Social Party (PSL), comparing the crisis in this political formation to a "discussion between husband and wife".
"For now, I continue (in the PSL). There is no crisis. It is a discussion between husband and wife, from time to time. The problem is not mine. People want a different, active party. The party is stagnant. has no confusion, "said the head of state in Brasilia, speaking to Brazilian journalists.
Prior to statements to the press, Bolsonaro met at the Planalto Palace, headquarters of the federal executive branch, with PSL deputies.
Hours earlier, presidential spokesman Otavio Rêgo Barros stated that Bolsonaro "does not intend to leave the PSL free and spontaneous."
PSL leader Luciano Bívar, the political formation that in 2018 brought Jair Bolsonaro to power, said on Wednesday that the Brazilian President "is already out" of the political formation, in an apparent break between them.
The controversy began when, on Tuesday, Bolsonaro told his supporter to forget PSL, his party, adding that Luciano Bivar is "burned out". The situation occurred outside the Alvorada Palace, in Brasilia, and was recorded on video.
After the controversy, the PSL president told the G1 news portal that Bolsonaro "is already removed" and "forgotten" from the party.
"His (Bolsonaro) speech was terminal, he's already gone. Didn't he say to forget the party? It's forgotten," said Luciano Bivar, adding that he just wants "peace."
However, Bolsonaro said on Wednesday that the instructions given to his supporter were to prevent "early campaigning".
"I told the boy to 'forget about the PSL'. Why? He is a pre-candidate for councilman and if he starts talking party, it's early campaign. That's what I told him," Bolsonaro said.
With a crisis affecting the party, the PSL has called an urgent meeting for Tuesday night with deputies and senators to assess the possible burnout, according to local media.
The PSL is also involved in legal problems.
The Electoral Prosecution Service (MP) of the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais last week accused the current Minister of Tourism, Marcelo Álvaro Antônio, of embezzlement of funds from the 2018 PSL electoral fund.
In addition to the minister of tourism, 10 other people were charged with crimes of ideological falsity, misappropriation of elections and criminal association.
"After about eight months of investigation, the Electoral Public Prosecution Service accused (…) 11 people of involvement in a misappropriation scheme through 'phantom candidates' in the last elections," according to Electoral Prosecutor Fernando Abreu, quoted on the MP's website.
All defendants are linked to the PSL.
According to the newspaper Folha de São Paulo, Jair Bolsonaro's election campaign also benefited from this misappropriation.
The alleged irregularities in the campaigns of the PSL candidates have not directly affected the head of state so far, but led to the resignation last February of the then Minister of the General Secretariat of the Government, Gustavo Bebianno, who chaired the PSL last year in full election campaign.
. (tagsToTranslate) Newsletter (t) JN (t) World (t) Jair Bolsonaro (t) Brazil (t) Politics