Revealed: London Heathrow Retains World Number 1 Mega Hub Title, with Frankfurt in Second and Chicago O'Hare in Third
- Study looked at how many inbound and outbound flights are possible in 6 hours
- Researchers analyzed flights on the busiest day of 2019 to produce a ranking
- At Heathrow, 65,000 international connections were possible in six hours.
- Other well-connected airports include Amsterdam Schiphol and Munich.
London Heathrow was named the most internationally connected airport in the world for the third year in a row, with Frankfurt International as the second most connected and Chicago O&H in third.
The ranking comes from a study that analyzed the number of possible international connections at 50 major airports around the world in a six-hour window on this year's busiest aviation day.
Heathrow has retained the world's # 1 mega-hub title thanks to over 65,000 connections in this time frame.
London Heathrow, pictured as the world's most internationally connected airport for the third year in a row
The classification, called Megahubs Index 2019, was produced by OAG, a digital flight intelligence and information company.
In fourth place is Amsterdam Schiphol, while Munich International closes the top five.
Other well-connected centers include Toronto Pearson International (sixth), Paris Charles de Gaulle (seventh), Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International (eighth), Singapore Changi (ninth) and Hong Kong International (10).
The highest rated airport in the Middle East is Dubai International, while the most connected in Latin America is named as Mexico City International.
The most connected airport in the world for low cost carriers is Kuala Lumpur International.
The second most connected airport, according to the OAG study, is Frankfurt International, pictured
Chicago O'Hare pictured leads North America in home connectivity for fourth year in a row
Meanwhile, Chicago O'Hare leads North America in home connectivity for the fourth consecutive year.
On this busiest aviation day this year, 83,580 domestic connections were possible within a three-hour window – two percent more than last year.
United Airlines operates the majority of flights on O & Hare at 48%, down two percent from 2018.
INTERNATIONAL MOST CONNECTED AIRPORTS IN THE WORLD 2019
1. London Heathrow
2. Frankfurt International
3. Chicago O'Hare
4. Amsterdam Schiphol
5. Munich International
6. Toronto Pearson International
7. Paris Charles de Gaulle
8. Hartsfield – Jackson Atlanta International
9. Singapore Changi
10. Hong Kong International
11. Seoul Incheon International
12. Kuala Lumpur International
13. Los Angeles International
14. Bangkok Suvarnabhumi
15. Mexico City International
16. Soekarno-Hatta International, Jakarta
17. Istanbul Ataturk
18. John F. Kennedy International, New York
19. Dallas / Fort Worth International
20. Miami International
21. Intercontinental George Bush, Houston
22. Tokyo Haneda International
23. Newark Liberty International
24. Dubai International
25. Shanghai Pudong International
27. Vancouver International
28. Madrid-Barajas Adolfo Suarez
29. Manila Ninoy Aquino International
30. Moscow Sheremetyevo – A.S. Pushkin International
31. San Francisco International
32. Bogota El Dorado International
33. Guangzhou Baiyun International
34. Rome Leonardo da Vinci
35. Delhi Indira Gandhi International
36. Beijing Capital International
37. Seattle-Tacoma International
38. O.R. Tambo International, Johannesburg
39. Tokyo Narita International
41. Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International
42. Vienna International
43. Tan Son Nhat International, Ho Chi Minh City
44. Boston Logan International
45. Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat
46. Sao Paulo International
49. Bangkok Don Mueang International
50. Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji International
Share or comment on this article:
. (tagsToTranslate) dailymail (t) travel (t) travel_news (t) london